Top Ten Consumer Complaints
The top consumer complaints received by the Division are as follows:
- Coaching Services/Telemarketing: Typically involve misrepresentations and deceptive refund policies, failure to abide by do-not-call provisions.
- Retail Sales/Deposits/Refunds: False advertising and other deceptive practices, defective merchandise, problems with rebates, coupons, gift cards and gift certificates, failure to deliver, and failure to honor stated refund policies.
- Internet Offer/Sales: Misrepresentations or other deceptive practices, failure to deliver online purchases.
- Model/Talent/Acting Agencies: Misrepresentation or other deceptive practices, deceptive refund policies, failure to deliver services purchased.
- Personal Services: Typically involve failure to render or deliver the services purchased in the time frame represented or in the manner it was advertised.
- Alarm Systems: Aggressive sales tactics used in door-to-door solicitations, failure to allow cancellations within stated time period.
- Auto Repair/Sales:
— Repairs: Failure to disclose refund policies, failure to obtain consumer’s express authorization prior to repair, unnecessary repairs.
— Sales: Misrepresentations in advertising or sales, aggressive sales practices, contracts with incapacitated or vulnerable purchaser.
- Home Improvement/Repair: Shoddy work, failure to start or complete job, refusal of job completion until consumer agrees to a higher price than originally agreed upon.
- Debt Collection: Billing and fee disputes, mortgage-related fraud, credit repair, debt relieve services, illegal or abusive debt collection tactics.
- Unauthorized Debit: Negative option internet purchases or failure to obtain express authorization prior to charging a credit or debit card.